Here, I broke this. How many times has Toby heard those words come out of my mouth. Accompanied by a handful of pieces or a point at a sprinkler? He is magic, he can fix anything. I don't hang pictures, barely know how to use a hammer or screwdriver. He is the man in our house. But, the Army seems to think they need him more than I do-little do they know. So, when Toby is gone, I turn to the other great man in my life, my Dad. Here, I broke this. I only know how to break, not repair. I buy things that need to be put together by the carload, and drop them on my poor Dad or Husband. I found a BBQ on sale, I bought a new bed for Carsen or I thought we could use this fire bowl in the backyard-can you put it together? If I had to put something together, it would never get done, I would unbox it, try and quit. Recently I bought a new TV for Chandler, managed to hook up a DVD player, PlayStation and stereo to it and thought I had re-invented the wheel. Anyway, here's today's story:
I am getting new countertops....I AM GETTING NEW COUNTERTOPS....oh, I am so excited. So, they are coming today to do the digital measurements. I must clean everything off the counters and remove the appliance garage. The guy said it shouldn't be too hard. Famous last words. I tell him "oh, I can do it". So, I faithfully clean off everything, and get down to the appliance garage. HMMM, it doesn't want to come out, oh, it is screwed to the wall. I get a screwdriver, it is very, very screwed to the wall. I am sure Toby's cordless drill is not charged, it has not been used for a long time. What should I do? My Dad is at work.........hmmm, I am going to have to do the dreaded call the neighbor. Uh oh, they are all at work, maybe I can call Neal (Griffith), up the street. I pace around, trying to decide who to let into my secret world of helplessness. I find the cordless drill, give the button a push-it is still charged!!! I bring it into the house to become Paula the Power Tool Queen. (Did I mention Toby grounded me from the power tools????) I am heady with the power and the rush of self sufficiency. I figure out how to make it reverse, then push on high speed- I mean I am doing this!!! 6 screws in the wall, six still there-the drill is not doing it. I try again with the screwdriver, no luck. I am mad now, this stupid drill is ruining my independence. Hmmm, maybe I should try high torque (with the picture of the screw), ha, it is working. Six screws are now out, and I pull the appliance garage free!!! Maybe I will learn how to do something while Toby is gone, since the Army shows no intention of letting me keep him. And my Dad, well he can watch golf, I'll call him if I need him.
No comments:
Post a Comment